DataCare’s Ahshay platform supports ICD9 and ICD10 codes for both UR and CM. We have a superb track record of smoothly managing the big health care industry changes for our clients.

DataCare will work with you to:

  • Make it clear what ICD10 is
  • Help evaluate whether and when you should convert
  • Deliver a seamless transition as the industry will allow when you migrate from using ICD9 to ICD10 diagnosis codes
  • Mitigate the impact on your operating costs

Ahshay will allow each customer to configure an approach for their needs: whether they prefer ICD9 or ICD10, or both. In this case for UR, when you are approving a treatment, you will be able to choose either ICD9 or ICD10. The same flexibility is available for case management, as we do support recording the city codes.

Not converting?

That’s okay, your users will only see ICD9 codes.

Converting?

We will support you and deliver a smooth transition for your operations. Here is the overall mapping from ICD9 codes to ICD10 codes.

icd10mapping

There are 17,000 ICD9 codes and 70,000 ICD10 codes.  For 73.3% of the codes, there are exact or approximate matches. However, the remaining 26.7% are very complex and a computer cannot simply look at one record to automatically make the mapping from ICD9 to ICD10. We can help but it will not be automatic.

Some of the complex mappings are “match with multiple choices.” For example,

ICD9 has two codes for amputation of the foot

  • Left
  • Right

ICD10 has four codes.

  • Left partial
  • Left total
  • Right partial
  • Right total

Some ICD9 codes convert to two or more codes.

ICD9 CM 722.10

Converts to

  • M51.16 Intervertebral disc disorders with radiculopathy, lumbar region
  • M51.17 Intervertebral disc disorders with radiculopathy, lumbosacral region
  • M51.26 Other intervertebral disc displacement, lumbar region
  • M51.27 Other intervertebral disc displacement, lumbosacral region

We will continue to look for methods to simplify the issue of mapping from the old ICD9 to ICD10, but there is no simple method.

Another complication

For some conditions, the ICD10 codes changes based on time and progression of the case. This may make it difficult to determine if it is the same claim or not.

Reporting

We are able to generate the required reports based on the ICD code used to create the record. But depending on the situation, it may be difficult to gather many statistics and comparisons since some cases will be using ICD9 and others will be using ICD10. It is not clear how the state will address this.

Finding the right ICD10 code

Ahshay supports finding the right ICD10 code. It will be as easy as finding the right ICD9 code.

For those companies who are switching to ICD10, DataCare will aid you and work to make the transition as quick and painless as possible. We are available if you have questions about preparing for ICD10.

By | 2017-08-31T16:37:29-04:00 April 21st, 2014|case management, ICD10, ICD9, UR software|0 Comments

Leave A Comment